The name of the association shall be Black Hills Runners Club Incorporated, hereafter referred to as “this association” or “this organization”.
A. The prime object of the association shall be the promotion and encouragement of running and the education of the public to its benefits.
B. In furtherance of objective “A: this association may hold championships, races on the road or track, lectures, fun runs, other educational activities, demonstrations, clinics and social events; to print and publish books, magazines and newsletters, make awards; and do all such other things as may be conducive to the encouragement of running.
C. Other objectives are to engage in community activities, to publicize by appropriate means the benefits of long distance running as a means of physical fitness.
This association shall be a chapter of the Road Runners Club of America, and all measures adopted by that body must be considered by this organization
Individuals who wish to participate in the activities of this organization shall submit dues and an application for membership.
V. MANAGEMENT OR GOVERNMENT
A. The management of this association shall be vested in a Board of Directors consisting of a president, vice president and secretary/treasurer and additional board members as deemed necessary.
B. Duties of Officers:
- President – to preside over meetings, represent this association in the RRCA, to call any special meetings, and to appoint committees and chairpersons thereof.
- Vice President – to assume the powers of the president in his/her absence, and to take on special assignments as requested by the president.
- Secretary/Treasurer – to record minutes at meetings, to keep a file of such minutes, and, when requested by the president, to accept assignments involving correspondence and the keeping of records. To administer all financial dues and to have authority to sign or disburse necessary appropriations, as directed.
C. Eligibility: Officers may be elected to succeed themselves
D. Term of Office: Term of office shall be about two years, beginning with or at the close of the first meeting held within the calendar year, and in no case beginning later than March 31.
Offices filled upon resignation shall also expire at the time of the first meeting of the calendar year.
E. Elections: Officers shall be elected by a majority vote of those present at the meeting.
F. Procedural requirements
- Parliamentary procedure will be carried on at meetings, and every effort will be made to discuss any measures coming before the group.
- A majority vote of the members present is necessary to pass ordinary measures. All measures shall be deemed ordinary except those proposing a constitutional amendment.
- A quorum shall consist of a minimum of 7 members, 3 of which must be officers or board members. Any business to be voted upon at times other than normal quarterly meetings must be presented to the membership a minimum of 48 hours prior.
- Bylaws amendment:
a. A bylaw amendment may be accomplished by a two-thirds vote of the members present at the meeting.
b. Only those who have been members of this organization for 30 days prior to the proposal of such an amendment may vote upon such.
c. All members must be notified at least 7 days prior to voting that bylaw amendments will be discussed and voted on.
5. Meetings will be held at least once each quarter and more frequently if called by the president.
A. Dues shall be as determined by a majority of the members present at a business meeting and shall not be changed more often than once per year.
B. This is a non-profit organization. Dues, entry fees, and other monies received by the organization will be spent entirely for carrying out the stated purpose to the organization.
C. No part of the net earnings of the club shall inure to the benefit of its individuals.
D. This organization shall be empowered to participate in fund-raising activities.
E. This organization will submit a portion of the annual dues (described in A supra) to the RRCA as membership in that body shall require.
In the event of dissolution of this association, the funds in the treasury, after all creditors have been paid, shall go to the Road Runners Club of America, or other 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.